- Bioanalytical chemistry based on advanced design and synthesis of chemical probes
- Design and synthesis of fluorescent peptide nucleic acids, peptides, small molecules and DNA-based aptamers for targeting biomarkers including non-coding RNA and extracellular vesicles
- Development of highly sensitive and selective detection or imaging methods for non-coding RNA
- Development of imaging methods for RNA-peptide complex
- Development of RNA-binding fluorescent indicators for high-throughput drug screening
- Development of detection methods for extracellular vesicle
- Analysis of cell differentiation
Our research interests focus on bioanalytical chemistry based on the advanced design and synthesis of chemical probes that target significant biomarkers such as non-coding RNA and extracellular vesicles. We have created novel probes based on peptide nucleic acids, peptides, small organic molecules, or DNA-based aptamers, and have developed a highly sensitive and selective detection or imaging methods for biological research and drug discovery. Our recent progress includes the development of triplex-forming peptide nucleic acid for fluorescence sensing of double-stranded RNA, fluorescent probes for siRNA delivery imaging in living cells, and fluorescent ligands for mircoRNA detection. By providing such chemical probe-based bioanalytical methods, we are trying to contribute to the further development of life science.
- "Triplex-forming Peptide Nucleic Acid Having Thiazole Orange as a Base Surrogate for Fluorescence Sensing of Double-stranded RNA"
T. Sato, Y. Sato, S. Nishizawa, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 138, 9397-9400 (2016)
- "Lysine linkage in abasic site-binding ligand–thiazole orange conjugates for improved binding affinity to orphan nucleobases in DNA/RNA hybrids"
Y. Sato, H. Saito, D. Aoki, N. Teramae, S. Nishizawa, Chem. Commun., 52, 14446-14449 (2016)
- "Synthetic fluorescent probes capable of selective recognition of 3'-overhanging nucleotides for siRNA delivery imaging"
T. Sato, Y. Sato, K. Iwai, S. Kuge, S. Nishizawa, N. Teramae, Chem. Commun., 51, 1421-1424 (2015)
- "Abasic Site-Binding Ligands Conjugated with Cyanine Dyes for "Off-On" Fluorescence Sensing of Orphan Nucleobases in DNA Duplexes and DNA/RNA Hybrids"
Y. Sato, M. Kudo, Y. Toriyabe, S. Kuchitsu, C.-X. Wang, S. Nishizawa, N. Teramae, Chem. Commun., 50, 515-517 (2014)
- "2,4-Diamino-6,7-dimethylpteridine as a Fluorescent Ligand for Binding and Sensing an Orphan Cytosine in RNA Duplexes"
Y. Sato, Y. Toriyabe, S. Nishizawa, N. Teramae, Chem. Commun., 49, 9983-9985 (2013)
- "Strong and Selective Binding of Amiloride to an Abasic Site in RNA Duplexes: Thermodynamic Characterization and MicroRNA Detection"
Y. Sato, T. Ichihashi, S. Nishizawa, N. Teramae, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 51, 6369-6372 (2012)